Casa Gorordo Museum Cebu


Casa Gorordo Museum is one of the well known museums among the museums in Cebu and it's also known to be a special project of Don Ramon Aboitiz. This museum is located in the mid of the Parian district which is also known to be among the old streets in Cebu. This museum is basically named after Msgr. Juan Gorordo, the owner of the house and the first bishop. The house was turned into a museum only after Don Ramon came to own it in 1980.Don Ramon Abolitz foundation, Inc presently runs the museum and it's constructed purely with tugas (molave), narra, and bayong (mahogany) accessories. This two storey building is a reflection of the 1860 architecture and the specific lifestyle of the owner. The patio on the ground floor is also the waiting room for guests and its furniture is partially made of bamboo but a gallinera stands out more prominently. The basement for food storage is located near the patio. Among the various artifacts one finds the 18th and 19th century implements of agricultural and household origin. The presence of the plow and other cultivable tools reflect the evolution of farming culture. Large basins made of hard wood and called duwang and 4 big palo palo are also to be found among the collections including the clothes wringers, dryers and wooden plantsa for ironing clothes. 80 to 90% of the furniture in the second floor of the house are original fixtures and display intricate art forms like wood carvings dividing the house into function rooms. In the sala you will find rattan sets and Vienna chairs accompanied by cabinets, tables and beds manufactured from narra or molave having delicate carvings done on them. The dinning rooms and kitchen display kubietos or silverware and antique plates and cups or tazas. The 18th century image also finds recognition in the water jars and cooking accessories

0 comments

0 comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Sponsors